R&D Optical Engineer
Position: R&D Optical Engineer
Department: Engineering EOB
Reports To: Engineering Manager – EOB
A design position, which incorporates optical design and optical tolerancing.
- Execute, evaluate and tolerance optical designs for product development and external customers
- Perform analytical and empirical studies in a lab environment of various optical components and systems
- Present design results and analysis of performance in peer-reviewed publications
- Participate in Design Reviews and check designs of other engineers
- Provide upfront technical risk assessment of new projects
- Work onsite at factory locations to troubleshoot and/or develop manufacturing processes for novel programs
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Understanding of basic optical and mechanical principals
- Proficiency in Optical design and/or proficiency Optomechanical design practices
- Proficiency in Optical design software Zemax and/or Code V
- Familiarity with diffractive optics design and full-wave propagation methods such as Finite Difference Time Domain (FDTD) or Rigorous Coupled Wave Analysis (RCWA)
- Understanding of laboratory techniques
- Proficient in the use of numerical software tools such as Labview, Matlab or Mathematica
- Great communication, organization, and mathematical skills
- Motivated and self-starter
Minimum Master’s Degree (PhD preferred) in optical sciences, physics or equivalent experience; and five (5) or more years of experience in optical design.
Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time; ability to travel; work in office setting.
Edmund Optics shall, in its discretion, modify or adjust the position to meet the company’s changing needs. This job description is not a contract and may be adjusted as deemed appropriate in the employer’s sole discretion.