Senior Opto-Mechanical Design Engineer
Position: Senior Opto-Mechanical Design Engineer
Reports To: Director of Design Engineering
The Sr. Opto-Mechanical Design Engineer has experience in the Optics, Machine Vision or Defense industry to develop mechanical designs for internal product development and external customers. He/she creates and tolerances mechanical designs for lens barrels and irises for lens assemblies. Designs diamond turning fixtures and creates assemblies to withstand environmental testing such as vibration, submersion and thermal shock.
- Execute opto-mechanical designs for product development and external customers
- Provide support to customers needing assistance developing systems
- Apply tolerances to opto-mechanical components with feedback from optical designer
- Design evaluation for product development and external customers
- Presentation of results of designs and analysis of performance
- Participate in Design Reviews and peer review designs from other engineers for errors
- Draft manufacturing prints
- Development of design and analysis tools and procedures
- Assist in development of other design engineers
- Support internal technical training efforts and attend training
- Support document control
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Proficiency in optical principles and optical design and/or proficiency opto-mechanical design
- Understanding of basic optical principals and basic mechanical principals
- Understanding of lab techniques
- Proficiency in CAD software (i.e. SolidWorks, Pro E)
- Knowledge of company products and applications
- Understanding of document control
- Great communication, organization, and math skills
- Motivated and self-starter
Minimum Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred) in physics, optical sciences, mechanical engineering or equivalent experience; ten (10) or more years’ experience in the optical industry.
Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time; ability to travel; work in office and manufacturing settings.
Edmund Optics shall, in its discretion, modify or adjust the position to meet the company’s changing needs. This job description is not a contract and may be adjusted as deemed appropriate in the employer’s sole discretion.