LAST UPDATED: August 2017
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual, including:
- postal address (including billing and shipping addresses);
- telephone/fax number;
- email address;
- credit and debit card number;
- customer number;
- driver’s license or other ID (e.g., when you visit our offices); and
- internal account ID.
Collection of Personal Information
We and our service providers may collect Personal Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through the Services: We may collect Personal Information through the Services, e.g., when you sign up for a newsletter or make a purchase.
- Offline: We may collect Personal Information from you offline, such as when you attend one of our trade shows, place an order over the phone, contact customer service or visit one of our offices. We also may collect other Personal Information that you choose to share when we meet in person.
- From Other Sources: We may receive your Personal Information from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, social media platforms (including from people with whom you are friends or otherwise connected) and from other third parties.
Use of Personal Information
We and our service providers may use Personal Information:
- to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, complete your transactions, and provide you with related customer service.
- to send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions and policies, as well as marketing communications that we believe may be of interest.
- to personalize your experience on the Services by presenting products and offers tailored to you, and to facilitate social sharing functionality.
- to allow you to participate in award programs, contests and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules containing information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information.
- to check your identity when you visit our offices.
- for our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products, enhancing, improving or modifying our Services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- to our third-party service providers who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, catalog delivery, auditing and other services.
- to third parties, to permit them to send you marketing communications, consistent with your choices.
- to third-party sponsors of award programs, contests and similar promotions.
- by you, on message boards, chat, profile pages and blogs and other services to which you are able to post information and content (including, without limitation, our Social Media Pages). Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public and may be available to other users and the general public.
Other Uses and Disclosures
We also may use and disclose your Personal Information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) to comply with applicable law, which may include laws outside your country of residence, to respond to requests from public and government authorities, which may include authorities outside your country of residence, to cooperate with law enforcement, or for other legal reasons; (b) to enforce our terms and conditions; and (c) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others. We may use, disclose or transfer your information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
We may also use and disclose Personal Information collected through the Services in other ways, with your consent.
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an identifiable individual, such as:
- browser and device information;
- information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies;
- demographic information and other information provided by you that does not reveal your specific identity;
- information that has been aggregated in a manner that it no longer reveals your specific identity
Collection of Other Information
We and our service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version and the name and version of the Services you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly.
- IP Address: Your IP address is automatically assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider. An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Services, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications and other services. We use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, diagnosing server problems and administering the Services. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
Uses and Disclosures of Other Information
We may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information. If we do, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
THIRD PARTY SERVICES
In addition, we are not responsible for the information collection, use, disclosure or security policies or practices of other organizations, such as Facebook, Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM or any other app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or device manufacturer, including with respect to any Personal Information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with our Social Media Pages.
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
CHOICES AND ACCESS
Your choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information
We give you choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information for marketing purposes. You may opt-out from:
- Receiving electronic communications from us: If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt-out by clicking the unsubscribe link in the email or contacting us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below. You may also unsubscribe from our electronic newsletters or other email marketing online at https://www.edmundoptics.de/contact-support/email-newsletter/unsubscribe/.
- Receiving our catalog: If you no longer want to receive our products catalog, you may unsubscribe by contacting us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below or online at: https://www.edmundoptics.de/contact-support/catalog-unsubscribe/
- Our sharing of your Personal Information with affiliates for their direct marketing purposes: If you would prefer that we not share your Personal Information on a going-forward basis with our affiliates for their direct marketing purposes, you may opt-out of this sharing by contacting us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
- Our sharing of your Personal Information with unaffiliated third parties for their direct marketing purposes: If you would prefer that we not share your Personal Information on a going-forward basis with unaffiliated third parties for their direct marketing purposes, you may opt-out of this sharing by contacting us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, from which you cannot opt-out.
How you can access, change or suppress your Personal Information
If you would like to review, correct, update, suppress or delete Personal Information that you have previously disclosed to us, or if you would like to transfer your Personal Information to another company (to the extent this right to data portability is provided to you by applicable law), you may contact us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
In your request, please make clear what Personal Information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your Personal Information suppressed from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your Personal Information. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion (e.g., when you make a purchase, you may not be able to change or delete the Personal Information provided until after the completion of such purchase). There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed.
USE OF SERVICE BY MINORS
The Services are not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13), and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from individuals under 13.
JURISDICTION AND CROSS-BORDER TRANSFER
The Services are controlled and operated by us from the United States and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States. Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using the Services you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies or security authorities in those other countries may be entitled to access your personal information.
If you are located in the EEA: Some of the non-EEA countries are recognized by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of protection according to EEA standards (the full list of these countries is available here: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/international-transfers/adequacy/index_en.htm. With regard to transfers to other countries, we have put in place measures, such as standard contractual clauses adopted by the European Commission to protect your Personal Information. You may obtain a copy of these measures by contacting us in accordance with the "Contacting Us" section below.
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Services or otherwise to us.
You have the right at all times to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority competent for your country or region.
The Marketing department, located at the address below, is responsible for collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information.
Olly Simmons – Database Director
Edmund Optics GmbH
55124 Mainz, Deutschland
Because email communications are not always secure, please do not include credit card or other sensitive information in your emails to us.